Friday, October 3, 2008

In the interest of full disclosure...

I am a registered Republican but that's not to say that I think all Republicans are the best. There are some clear idiots out there and I'm sure it all depends on what your expectations of politics is that defines who the idiots are. May I just say, I don't include Sarah Palin on my list of "idiot Republicans". She was so great last night, although I wished she would have jumped a little more on Biden and his stupid statements. I thought my head would explode when Biden said that people are sitting around the kitchen table wanting help. Help!? How about opportunity? Unless we want a nation of people sitting around going "man, I have something really terrible going on...when is the government going to HELP me?", we must stop providing HELP and begin providing OPPORTUNITY. Whose fault is is that someone decided that real estate is a guaranteed investment and you should have a house that you couldn't afford in the first place? Mine? We are having to eat the depreciation in our house, so should you. It seems lately the punishment for lying about your income to get approved for a higher mortgage and buying a house you know you can't afford is that the government (that's our tax money, by the way) will come and fix it for you. Stupid us for being responsible and delaying our desire for a giant tv so that we could make our (apparently) optional mortgage payment. I know this seems like a weird segue from the debate to this, but my thoughts were racing last night and I'm going with a sort of politics stream of thought post. I also decided last night that my biggest political pet peeve is when someone says, "Personally I don't believe that _______ is right but I don't feel it is my job to legislate it". The best example is abortion (and I know this is such a touchy subject and I hate to use it but it just works). I don't understand how someone can say that they believe that killing unborn children is wrong and they are a professing Christian and it clearly is biblically wrong, but the law should allow it. Clearly all laws are offensive to some people, otherwise there would be certain laws that just are never broken. Do we just say, well, I personally believe that murder is wrong but you seem to have a justification for it so we can't legislate to you not to kill, because that would be imposing my morals on you. What the h...? Why can't people just say what their beliefs are and that is how they would legislate instead of talking out of both sides of their mouth? It seems like that would be doubly offensive and not appeal to anyone instead of appealing to everyone. I love politics, I just don't get it I guess. Well, I will sign off for now since S. is attempting to relocate all of the bath water to the floor using his body to displace it. I firmly believe that all of our children are crazy...

No comments: